Mr. Balbiani is a Registered Civil Engineer in California and Washington with 30 years of experience in the investigation, design, and remediation of hazardous waste sites in accordance with MTCA (Washington State), RCRA, and CERCLA requirements. Projects involve investigating and designing remedial actions for groundwater, surface water, and soil contaminated with petroleum hydrocarbons (TPH), heavy metals, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), herbicides, pesticides, and semi-volatiles. Mr. Balbiani has extensive experience coordinating and negotiating with local, state, and federal regulatory agencies in California, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington. He has acted as Branch Manager and Operations Manager for environmental consulting, engineering and construction activities in the Northwest for the past 18 years.
Primary areas of responsibility for Mr. Balbiani have included the following:
- Program manager for conducting remedial investigations, feasibility studies, interim corrective actions and system operation and maintenance at 5 chemical distribution facilities in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. Responsible for development of overall project strategy, regulatory negotiations, document quality assurance and client relations;
- Project manager for third party review, litigation support and expert testimony on a variety of projects related to cost recovery for contaminated site cleanup;
- Project manager for design of municipal solid waste landfills, non-hazardous liquid waste disposal ponds, and hazardous waste impoundment closure;
- Project manager for on-call environmental services contracts for the U.S. Department of the Navy and the Washington State Department of Transportation. Over 80 projects with budgets of $5,000 to greater than $250,000 were conducted under these contracts over a 5-year period;
- Program manager for due diligence projects involving property transactions including 300 retail gasoline service stations, a destination ski resort, and commercial developments; and
- Providing technical and administrative oversight to a staff of engineers and geologists involved with hazardous waste and underground tank site investigations, feasibility studies, and remedial action implementation projects.